FRIEDENSKIRCHE STELLENBOSCH / SOMERSET WEST
STELLENBOSCH & SOMERSET WEST, WESTERN CAPE
Pastor Felix Meylahn
The first Lutheran Church in Stellenbosch was built in 1854, on the corner of Dorp und Bird Street. (Today the building is no longer in use as a church and instead serves as university museum and gallery.) Initially, German Lutherans in Stellenbosch were cared for from the St Martini Church in Cape Town and from the Kreuzkirche in Bellville, but as the German community in Stellenbosch grew, so did the need for a local Lutheran Church.
In 1952 the Stellenbosch congregation was officially founded and in 1963 the church center in Hofmeyr Street was inaugurated. Over the past 50 years the church has been spiritual home for many and our prayer is that it will continue to be one for years to come. For a number of years members in the Somerset West area have been celebrating church services and events at St Paul’s Roman Catholic Church. Please refer to the calendar in the newsletter on our website for details.
Because our church in Hofmeyr Street is situated on the Campus of the Stellenbosch University we are able to offer students from all the various Lutheran Churches in South Africa and from further afield a home away from home – we meet regularly on Sunday evenings at 18:30 and as we converse mainly in English we hope to be open to people from many different backgrounds.
Our congregation offers two English services at 09:00 on the second and fourth Sunday of the month and two German services at 10:00 on the first and the third Sunday of the month in the Friedenskirche as well as two Taizé devotions in English at 18:30 on the first and the third Sunday of the month.
During the school and university holidays there may be some changes – please check the information on our calendar.