A group of British-German Legions of 1857 and some migrants settled in the area in 1858. On the 22nd of January 1865, the constitution of St Petri Braunschweig was adopted and Pastor Clüver served Braunschweig from King Williams Town. A group of British-German Legions of 1857 and some migrants settled in the area in 1858. On the 22nd of January 1865, the constitution of St Petri Braunschweig was adopted and Pastor Clüver served Braunschweig from King Williams Town.
The foundation of the church was laid on the 1st of September 1866 and the dedication of the church took place on the 1st of December 1867. The first resident Pastor was Pastor H Anders who was inducted on 13 June 1880. He and his wife taught at the school. The new foundation stone of St Petri Braunschweig was laid on the 7th of December 1904 and the dedication of the church took place on 9 November 1905. In 1985 the St Petri Braunschweig Church was sold to the government. The last service took place on the 8th of September in that year. The congregation eventually decided to reallocate to Komga and the church was dedicated on Easter morning of 1989.
Komga is like a Baobab Tree, its branches stretching to embrace all people coming through the door of the congregation. This little congregation is well known in the little town of Komga and in the Boarder area as a little congregation with a big heart. St Peters Komga is well known for their annual Ascension Day Soup evening as well as the Good Friday service and of course the annual carol service which takes place on the 4th of Advent in the evening.
St Peters Komga works closely together on an ecumenically level with all the other churches in Komga. Komga is a beautiful little church. The stain glass windows and carved furniture visibly underline the proclamation of the Gospel. As you enter the church, we have the centre window with Jesus’ outstretched arms “Peace be with you”. Two services a month are held in English on the 1st and the 4th Sunday of a month at 10:30.