ST ANDREW’S LUTHERAN CHURCH
EAST LONDON, EASTERN CAPE
Pastor Hans-Peter von Fintel

ADDRESS

50 Park Avenue, East London, 5200

SERVICE LANGUAGES

English & German

TELEPHONE

+27 43 722 2700 / +27 43 748 1095

CELL

+27 84 064 6228

EMAIL

hpvonfintel@gmail.com

WEBSITE

www.standrewslutheran.org.za

FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/St-Andrews-Lutheran-Church

This congregation was founded by the German Lutheran immigrants in 1872. They came to this British controlled area in 1857-58. The beautiful old church building, which is the second oldest in East London and an attraction for tourists, was dedicated on 30th November 1882 and named after the disciple Andrew, who brought several people to Jesus. Congregants, as well as visitors, enjoy the beautiful old stained glass windows.

St Andrew’s is a family congregation rooted in Christ! St Andrew’s is a mainly English speaking congregation. Every Sunday there is an 8:30 English speaking service. German services are held once a month for German speaking members as well as for Germans living and working in East London for a short period of time.

St Andrew’s is a very active congregation: an active Children’s Ministry; Choir singing in English and German; weekly and monthly Bible sharing groups; and the Women’s auxiliary.

St Andrew’s is well known for: their hospitality; their openness to embrace; the Easter morning service followed by a delicious breakfast; their Bazaar; their annual Christmas market; and for hosting combined services.

One of the main pillars of the congregation is the Charity Ministry. This ministry distributes: linen, clothing, curtains, foodstuff etc. to a variety of places in East London. This ministry reaches out into the community serving from the babies to the elderly. In 2016 there was a beanie drive announced in the parish and the results were amazing – not only 100’s of beanie’s but jerseys, 137+ blankets etc.

In 2017 we had “The Love Bag Project” which was a joint activity within the Coastal Parish and all 3 congregations namely St Peter’s Komga, Luther Brakfontein and St Andrew’s participated. Material bags were handed out in the beginning of lent and the members were asked to place something into these bags for the needy. On Easter Sunday the “Love Bags and lots of boxes” were carried into the church at St Andrew’s and what an overwhelming experience it was. These bags filled to the brim with toiletries, foodstuff, clothing, linen, toys and lots more.

St Andrew's Lutheran Church