LUTHER BRAKFONTEIN

BRAKFONTEIN, EASTERN CAPE

Pastor Hans-Peter von Fintel

ADDRESS

Brakfontein, 5205

SERVICE LANGUAGES

English

TELEPHONE

+27 43 722 2700 / +27 43 748 1095

CELL

+27 84 064 6228

EMAIL

hpvonfintel@gmail.com

The first settlers moved into the Brakfontein area in 1877. Pastoral care was provided from St Andrews, East London, by Pastor Baumgarten. On the 19th of April 1885 Pastor Baumgarten convened a meeting at which the congregation Luther Brakfontein was constituted. In 1898 a decision was taken to build a Church. The foundation stone was only laid on the 16th of February 1902 and the dedication of the church building took place in 19th of May 1902.

When St Crucis Beacon Bay was established, Luther Brakfontein was approached by the Church Council to sever its connection with St Andrews and to link itself to St Crucis in order to grant stability to the newly founded congregation, St Crucis.

Arsonists burned down the church building on 19 September 1985. The decision to rebuild was taken and the church was rebuilt and rededicated on the 23 March 1986.

Luther Brakfontein is a small close-knit family congregation. Brakfontein is built on a hill overlooking the sea and farming community around it. Jesus says in Matthew 5:14-16: “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others.”

Luther Brakfontein is like this city on a hill with Christ’s light shining through the congregation into the valleys below. On Easter morning there is a devotion that takes place at the cemetery. It is from here that one can see the dawn light shining on the sea and the countryside.

Divine services take place twice a month, namely on the 1st Sunday of a month at 8:30 and the 3rd Sunday of a month at 10:30.

Luther Brakfontein